Red Beans and Rice. So nice! So says a famous song and anyone who tries this delicious side dish. It’s a true delight.
Quick, Southern Style Red Beans and Rice
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 each onions
- 1 each garlic clove
- 1 Cup beef broth
- 1 Cup rice, raw
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 each bell pepper
- 2 Cups kidney beans
- Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces. Cut onions into 1/2-inch wedges. Mince garlic clove. Dice bell Pepper. Drain Beans.
- Cook bacon in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until browned but not crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bacon from skillet; drain off all but tablespoons drippings. Add onion and garlic to skillet; cook until onion is tender but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add enough water to beef broth to make 2 1/2 cups. Add to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, bacon, thyme and salt.
- Cover tightly and simmer 15 minutes. Add green pepper, cover and continue cooking 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in beans.
- Let stand covered until all liquid s absorbed, about 5 minutes.