Quick Chinese Pancakes
Author: Steven Petusevsky, Cooking Light Magazine
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 5 1/2 Cups fat-free milk
- 1 Tablespoon stick butter; melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- nonstick cooking spray
- Place the flour in a medium bowl. Combine milk, butter and egg; add to flour, stirring with a whisk until blended. Stir in fresh chives and five-spice powder. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place an 8-inch crepe pan or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Remove pan from heat; pour a scant 1/4 cup batter into pan. Quickly tilt pan in all directions so that batter covers bottom of pan. Cook about 1 minute.
- Carefully lift edge of pancake with a spatula to test for doneness. The pancake will be ready to turn when it can be shaken loose from pan and the underside is lightly browned. Turn pancake over; cook 30 seconds on the other side.
- Place the pancake on a towel; let cool. Repeat the procedure until all of the batter is used. Stack the pancakes between single layers of waxed paper or paper towels to prevent pancakes from sticking.
- Yields 12 pancakes.