Quick, easy, nutritious and delightfully flavored, Cajun-style… how can you go wrong?
Quick Cajun Rice Skillet
Author: Beverly Mills, with Alicia Ross
Recipe type: Rice Dishes
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion; (for 1 Cup chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper; (for 1 Cup chopped)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 package turkey kielbasa (14 ounces)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (14 1/2 ounces)
- 1 can nonfat chicken broth (14 1/2 ounces)
- 3 1/4 Cups instant (5-minute) rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can white beans (15 ounces) such as Great Northern
- 1 can red beans (15 ounces)
- hot pepper sauce; optional
- Heat oil over medium heat in an extra-deep, 12-inch nonstick skillet that has a lid. Peel and coarsely chop the onion, adding it to the skillet as you chop. Seed and coarsely chop the green pepper. Add it to the skillet.
- Add garlic.
- Cut sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices, adding them to the skillet as you slice. Add tomatoes, chicken broth and rice. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Add black pepper, thyme and oregano. over skillet; cook 4 minutes.
- Rinse and drain both cans of beans. After rice has cooked 4 minutes, gently stir in beans. Continue to cook 2 minutes or until beans are hot.
- Season with hot pepper sauce to taste. Serve at once.
- Yields 6 servings.