Perfect for dips or a fast, economical pasta dinner.
Quick and Easy Pasta Sauce
Author: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Recipe type: Sauces
Serves: 5 cups
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion; chopped (about 2 Cups)
- 3 cloves garlic; minced
- 3/4 pound leanest ground beef
- 1 can plum tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- salt, to taste
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion; saute until translucent. Add garlic; saute briefly. Add ground beef. Cook, stirring and breaking the beef into small pieces, until no pinkness remains.
- Add tomatoes, crushing with a spoon. Add tomato paste, basil, pepper, sugar and salt, stirring to combine. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve as a dipping sauce for Toasted Ravioli (see recipe) or over hot pasta.
- Yields about 5 cups.