One of the simplest pasta sauces, this was the favorite of Roman prostitutes, who could prepare and serve it quickly, between appointments with their clients.
Puttanesca Sauce for Spaghetti
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Sauces
Serves: 2 Quarts
- 3 anchovy fillets; chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cans peeled Italian plum tomatoes (28 ounces cans) or-
- 40 to 50 fresh tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 large head garlic; about 12 cloves
- 2 Tablespoons capers; drained
- 1/2 Cup Kalamata olives - pitted and halved
- grated parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven. Add anchovies and stir together until oil and anchovies make a paste. Add the tomatoes, liquid and all. Break up the tomatoes and cook for 2 hours, then add the basil, oregano and half the garlic. Cook for 6 to 8 hours, adding a little water as needed.
- The sauce will become a dark, rich red. In the last half hour, add the remaining garlic, olives and capers. Cook for a few minutes to blend the flavors.
- Serve over pasta and pass grated Parmesan.
Anchovies, capers, olives and garlic result in a mysterious and wholly Italian taste experience that even anchovy haters tend to like. This recipe was... the best of several on this theme. We would only suggest the possibility of adding the fresh herbs later in the cooking process.