Prepare and serve this small appetizer sized empanadas at your next party or make them for your family on the weekend. They freeze well too. Delish!
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 16 ounces can pumpkin
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 Cups shortening
- 1 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 egg white; beaten
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine pumpkin, 3/4 cup sugar, and allspice; stir well, and set aside.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar. baking powder, and salt; cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle 1 cup milk evenly over surface; stir with a fork until all dry ingredients are moistened. Shape into a ball; chill. Roll out to 1/8th-inch thickness; cut into 4-inch circles.
- Place about 1 tablespoon pumpkin mixture in center of each circle.
- Moisten edges with additional milk; fold in half, and press edges together with a fork. Brush empanadas with egg white; place on ungreased baking sheets, and bake at 450 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over empanadas while still warm.
These may be served as appetizers or desserts. We have tried them both ways and in experimenting with them as appetizers, we found the addition of a small amount of crumbled bacon to the filling makes a world of difference.