For those who prefer meatless dishes, the Pulled BBQ Mushroom Sandwich is a genuinely tasty sandwich well suited to vegan tastes.
Pulled BBQ Mushroom Sandwich
Author: Patrick Connolly
Recipe type: Sandwiches
- 1 pound mushroom stems (cremini, portobella)
- 3 Cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Cups tomato juice
- 1 Cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup maple syrup
- 1/4 Cup tamarind paste
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 8 cardamom pods, toasted, crushed
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- In a deep pan, cover mushroom stems with olive oil; cover pan with foil. Roast at 300F for 30 minutes or until tender. Remove mushrooms from oil; drain and let dry.
- Lightly brown mushrooms in large, heated saucepan. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is translucent.
- Add tomato juice, vinegar, maple syrup, tamarind paste, Worcestershire, mustard, brown sugar and orange zest to saucepan. Bundle and tie cardamom, coriander, fennel seeds, cumin and chili flakes in cheesecloth; add sachet to pot. Simmer on low heat for 30 to 40 minutes until the sauce is thick and mushrooms are broken down.
- Serve warm, spooning barbecued-mushroom mixture onto kaiser rolls.