Almojabanas are some of the most wonderful, delicious breads you’ll ever have in your life. Rich, flavorful, warm and yet so comforting. Like a day in your pajamas!
Puerto Rican Ricemeal Buns (Almojabanas)
Delicious rolls that make a great accompaniment for almost any Latino recipe.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
Cuisine: Puerto Rican
Serves: 24 buns
- 2 Cups milk
- 2 ounces butter
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 Cups very fine rice meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 pound mild white cheese such as Queso Blanco
- lard or vegetable oil for deep frying
- In a saucepan, heat to boiling, ingredients in "A" and remove from heat.
- Combine ricemeal and baking powder and mix with contents in saucepan. Add eggs one at a time and mix.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until mixture separates from sides and bottom of sauce pan.
- Remove from heat. Mash cheese with fork and add. Mix thoroughly.
- Drop mixture by spoonfuls in fat, heated to 375 degrees, until brown. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
Here is something great to serve this recipe with... Puerto Rican Rice with Chicken