Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Breads and Rolls
- 1 package yeast; active, dry
- 1 1/2 Cups water, warm, 110-120 degrees F.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 Cups flour; unbleached
- 1 egg; large, beaten
- salt; coarse
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add salt and sugar to yeast mixture.
- Blend in flour and knead dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Cover and let dough rise until double in bulk. Punch down.
Cut dough into small pieces and roll into ropes.
- Twist ropes into pretzel shapes and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, brush pretzels with egg and sprinkle with coarse salt. Allow pretzels to rise until almost double in bulk.
- Bake at 425 degrees F. for 10 to 15 minutes or until browned.
- Best if eaten immediately. If not, store in airtight container.