In economically troubled times, one can still make Presidential Shepherd’s Pie, a dish that conforms to fiscal policy, yet stimulates the palate and eases your bank account. Worthy of a formal meal in the White House. Don’t forget to vote for Presidential Shepherd’s Pie, a winning delectable main course!
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 pinch nutmeg (generous pinch)
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 Cup water
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 Cup peas, frozen
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- For topping, place potatoes in large saucepan of cold, salted water. Bring to boil, then simmer partially covered 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Add milk, butter, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Mash potatoes until smooth and fluffy. Keep warm.
- For filling, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, parsley, thyme and sage. Cook 5 minutes or until onions have softened slightly. Add beef and water to pan, stirring frequently to break up meat; cook until no longer pink, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in carrot; cover, reduce heat and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add peas and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Stirring continuously, add flour, bouillon cube, sugar, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Cook 5 minutes. Skim and discard any fat.
- Place meat mixture in buttered ovenproof casserole dish about 9 inches square. Spread potato mixture on top. Score topping using prongs of fork.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven 30 to 40 minutes, until potatoes are golden brown on top and filling is hot.
Fall Fruit Cake with Apples and Currants may seem unusual, but so too is the wonderful, rich flavor ...
Anchovy-Grilled Salmon Steaks has a wonderful combination of flavors. The sweet, salty and aromatic ...
The flavor of Butternut Squash Soup is exceptional, offering a depth of comfort and warmth only a fe...
Pâté aux Poireaux is a lovely cheese quiche - a savory leek tart from northern France and also popul...