Potatoes in Sauce with Parsley and Peas (Patatas an Salsa Verde)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Vegetables
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 5 medium potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 Tablespoons cooked (canned or frozen) peas
- 3 Tablespoons chopped parsley; heaping Tablespoons
- hot water; to cover
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Crush garlic cloves and mince. Fry slowly until golden in 3 tablespoons olive oil in a flat earthenware casserole. Slice potatoes thin (but not paper thin). Have oil at barely sizzling temperature when potatoes are added. Spread them evenly over bottom of casserole and shake casserole to blend. One minute later, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water.
- Keep cooking over moderate heat and move casserole from time to time. Bit by bit, add hot water to cover the potatoes, always shaking the casserole to blend in the water. When the potatoes are covered and the sauce is fairly thick, add peas, season to taste with salt and pepper, give the casserole a swirl to mix, and put a lid over it. Cook covered until potatoes are tender.
- From time to time, remove lid and shake casserole to blend sauce and keep potatoes from sticking to the bottom. Just before serving, sprinkle with chopped parsley and shake casserole to mix parsley with sauce.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman