Potato Cheddar and Ale Soup is often served as a main course rather than a starter soup. Rich, hearty and flavorful, it requires only a crusty bread and perhaps a tossed salad to make a glorious meal.
- 1 1/2 pints carrots; peeled, diced
- 1 1/2 pints celery; trimmed, diced
- 3 ounces butter; or butter
- 3 Quarts russet potatoes; peeled, diced
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Quarts chicken stock; prepared
- 1 1/2 Cups Irish Red ale
- 1 1/2 pints milk
- 1 1/2 pounds Cheddar or Colby cheese; sharp shredded
- fresh herbs, for garnish (optional)
- Saute carrots and celery in butter until tender. Add potatoes, flour, fennel and pepper: saute 1 to 2 minutes. Add stock; cook 20 to 30 minutes until vegetables are tender and potatoes break up. Add ale and boil gently for 10 minutes. Add milk: heat thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and cool to 180 degrees F or lower. Stir in Cheese. Adjust seasoning with salt. Portion 12 ounces (1 1/2 Cups) into each bowl.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and fresh herbs. Serve with bread.
Make this spice mix in early Autumn and keep it through Winter to enhance the flavor of all your del...
Greek and Russian Orthodox Christians differ in many things, but both treasure their special Easter ...
If you love a good, heart-warming dessert, Apple Cinnamon Raisin Crisp is just the thing to make you...
Game Hens with Olives makes an exceptional, exciting and alluring dinner. It is classy, but not aloo...