Potato Cheddar and Ale Soup is often served as a main course rather than a starter soup. Rich, hearty and flavorful, it requires only a crusty bread and perhaps a tossed salad to make a glorious meal.
- 1 1/2 pints carrots; peeled, diced
- 1 1/2 pints celery; trimmed, diced
- 3 ounces butter; or butter
- 3 Quarts russet potatoes; peeled, diced
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Quarts chicken stock; prepared
- 1 1/2 Cups Irish Red ale
- 1 1/2 pints milk
- 1 1/2 pounds Cheddar or Colby cheese; sharp shredded
- fresh herbs, for garnish (optional)
- Saute carrots and celery in butter until tender. Add potatoes, flour, fennel and pepper: saute 1 to 2 minutes. Add stock; cook 20 to 30 minutes until vegetables are tender and potatoes break up. Add ale and boil gently for 10 minutes. Add milk: heat thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and cool to 180 degrees F or lower. Stir in Cheese. Adjust seasoning with salt. Portion 12 ounces (1 1/2 Cups) into each bowl.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and fresh herbs. Serve with bread.
An incredible dessert, this comfortable classic provides a sweet end to any great meal. Combining ba...
These amazing pancakes come originally to the American South by way of Welsh immigrants. Based on W...
Herbed Summer Melon Salad is an extraordinary summertime recipe, perfect for either a dessert or an ...
A wonderful family-friendly dish, Pizza Casserole is easy to make and delicious to eat. The recipe i...