Potato Cheddar and Ale Soup is often served as a main course rather than a starter soup. Rich, hearty and flavorful, it requires only a crusty bread and perhaps a tossed salad to make a glorious meal.
- 1 1/2 pints carrots; peeled, diced
- 1 1/2 pints celery; trimmed, diced
- 3 ounces butter; or butter
- 3 Quarts russet potatoes; peeled, diced
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Quarts chicken stock; prepared
- 1 1/2 Cups Irish Red ale
- 1 1/2 pints milk
- 1 1/2 pounds Cheddar or Colby cheese; sharp shredded
- fresh herbs, for garnish (optional)
- Saute carrots and celery in butter until tender. Add potatoes, flour, fennel and pepper: saute 1 to 2 minutes. Add stock; cook 20 to 30 minutes until vegetables are tender and potatoes break up. Add ale and boil gently for 10 minutes. Add milk: heat thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and cool to 180 degrees F or lower. Stir in Cheese. Adjust seasoning with salt. Portion 12 ounces (1 1/2 Cups) into each bowl.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and fresh herbs. Serve with bread.
The incredible simplicity of Green Garden Soup belies the outstanding flavors and luscious texture f...
Simple, flavorful and visually appealing, Orange and Black Olive Salad is light on the palate and mo...
Sweet, tangy and with a rich, tropical flavor, Apricot-Pineapple Barbecue Sauce is ideal for ribs, c...
The perfect side salad or main course for lunch, Chopped Antipasto Salad with Italian Dressing is al...