This glorious Potage au Potiron is a well remembered treasure from Restaurant Lutèce in New York. It was created by the legendary Andre Soltner, whose gastronomic creativity set the standard for generations to come. Brilliant.
- 1 pumpkin, ripe, 8 to 10 inches in diameter
- 8 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2/3 Cup wine, white, dry
- 2 small turnips, white, peeled and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled, sliced
- 6 Cups stock, chicken **
- salt (to taste)
- pepper, white (to taste)
- French bread, 10" long, thinly sliced OR
- 2 rolls, with crust thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup cream, whipping
- ** See recipe for Chicken Stock.
- Cut off and reserve the top of the pumpkin. Use a large spoon or melon baller to scoop out and discard all of the seeds and strings.
- Scrape out the pumpkin flesh without breaking through the shell. You should have about 6 cups of pumpkin pieces. Set aside the hollow pumpkin and lid.
- In a large casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring often, until softened and very lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Add the wine and simmer for 1 minute longer. Add the turnips, carrot, reserved pumpkin flesh, and enough Chicken Stock to cover solids. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, cut the bread slices into thin wedges about 1/2-inch long. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add half of the bread pieces and toss constantly in butter until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add these croutons to the soup. Saute the remaining uncooked croutons in the remaining butter, set aside for garnish.
- Boil soup gently, covered, for 1 hour. Puree mixture in a processor or blender until smooth. Return the pureed soup to a clean saucepan, stir in the cream, and bring to a simmer. Thin, if necessary, with additional stock. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve soup in pumpkin, passing remaining croutons separately.
Tsoureki is a warm, delightful egg bread that celebrates Easter in Greek homes, the red egg symboliz...
The lusciousness and soothing, cooling flavor of Honeydew Sorbet make this the quintessential desser...
The sweet, subtle flavor of peas adds exceptional quality to Chilled Soup of Mixed Peas, served well...
An exceptional soup, with deep rich flavor, Soupe Savoyarde may be served not only as a soup course,...