This British recipe for Pot Roast is simple, perfect, and quite proper, as one might expect. Oh, it’s delicious, too.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
Serves: 5 to 6 servings
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large parsnip
- 5 to 6 small onions
- 3 Tablespoons dripping or butter
- 1 topside (top round roast) or blade pot roast, about 3 pounds (1.5 kg)
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 Cup stock or water
- beurre manie
- mustard or horseradish relish for serving
- Peel vegetables and cut carrots and parsnip into 3 or 4 pieces, leave onions whole.
- Heat dripping in a heavy-based saucepan and brown meat evenly on all sides.
- Remove meat from pan and brown vegetables in remaining fat.
- Return meat to pan, season with salt and pepper and add stock or water.
- Cover pan with greased paper or aluminum foil and tightly fitting lid.
- Cook over a gentle heat for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until meat is tender, turning meat occasionally.
- Remove meat and vegetables and keep warm.
- Thicken liquid with beurre manie'.
- Serve pot roast with gravy and mustard or horseradish relish.