Pot Roast in Savory Wine Gravy yields extraordinary results, providing both comfort and exceptional flavor to all enjoying this recipe. Simple, savory and outstanding. Serve with vegetables, such as braised carrots, steamed peas and string beans, oven roasted boiled potatoes and a classic Yorkshire Pudding for an amazing meal.
- 4 pounds beef chuck arm pot roast, boneless
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 2 medium potatoes; pared/cut in 6ths
- 6 medium carrots; scraped, or more
- 1/2 Cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf; crushed
- 1/4 Cup flour; for gravy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place an 18-inch x 30-inch piece of heavy-duty foil in center of a shallow baking pan.
- Sprinkle a little of the soup mix in center of foil. Place meat over mix. Arrange carrots and potatoes around meat. Pour wine over meat; sprinkle balance of soup mix and seasonings over meat and vegetables.
- Bring the two edges of foil together above the meat and fold down in 1-inch locked folds, but do not draw the foil too tightly. Fold ends over and over to make an airtight seal.
- Cook for 2 1/2 hours, or until done. Remove roast from oven and fold foil back. Transfer to a serving platter, arrange vegetables around roast, and keep warm.
- For 2 cups of gravy, pour liquid from pan into a 2-cup measuring cup. Let stand for 1 minute to allow fat to come to top. Discard all but 4 Tablespoons (or less) of fat. Add enough water (or other liquid) to measure 1 1/2 cups. Pour into medium- size saucepan.
- In same cup, measure 1/2 cup cold water and blend in flour. Add mixture slowly to liquid in pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Taste gravy and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- Slice meat and serve with vegetables. Serve gravy separately.
The simplicity in preparing White Asparagus Soup disguises the complexity of flavors found in this e...
Unbelievably simple and wonderful, this recipe is soon to become a treat at your Thanksgiving table....
An outstanding New Year's Eve Cake, perfectly suited to ringing in another year or any other time. S...
Enough for 12 hearty portions, this potent, spicy Beef Goulash would make any Hungarian happy. Serv...