Pot Roast in Savory Cheese Sauce
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 5 pounds beef chuck arm pot roast*
- 2 Tablespoons cooking fat
- 1 medium onion; sliced
- 10 3/4 ounces Cheddar cheese soup; condensed
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 ounces mushrooms; sliced, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1. In a Dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat. Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan. Pour off fat drippings.
- Cook onion in drippings remaining in pan until soft but not browned; stir often. 3. Add soup, tomato sauce, mushrooms, oregano, and basil; mix well.
- Return meat to pan. Cover and simmer for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until done. (Or cook in a 325 degrees F oven for same amount of time.) Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout. Skim off excess fat.
- If sauce is too thin, remove meat to a platter and keep warm. Mix 2 tablespoons flour in 1/3 cup cold water. Add mixture slowly to sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Taste sauce and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- If sauce needs only a little thickening, remove meat, skim off excess fat, and simmer, uncovered, for a few minutes.
- Slice meat and serve with gravy.
- *Frozen beef chuck arm pot roasts and beef chuck blade roasts may be browned under the broiler. Place meat on boiler pan rack, then place pan in center of oven. Brown to one side, about 10 minutes. Turn meat and brown other side, about 8 to 10 minutes. Meat should be completely thawed after browning.