The combination of tea and honey soaked dried fruit with porridge (steel cut oats) is outstanding. Use either quick cooking oats or cream of wheat as a substitute.
Porridge with Fruit Compote
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 500g dried mixed fruits, e.g. apricots, apples, pears, prunes or figs
- 6 x fruit style teabags e.g. apple and ginger
- 600ml boiling water
- 1-2 x 15ml spoons clear honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise (optional)
- pinch of ground allspice for the porridge:
- 900ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 - 4 Tablespoons runny honey
- 120g porridge oats
- For the fruit compote:
- Place the dried fruits into a bowl.
- In a saucepan combine together the teabags, boiling water, honey and spices. Bring to the boil and simmer to reduce by half. Pour over the dried fruit in the bowl and leave for at least 2 hours or even overnight.
- Remove the tea bags, cinnamon stick and star anise before serving.
- For the porridge:
- Heat the milk and the honey in a small saucepan until just below boiling point. Allow to cool slightly.
- Add the porridge oats to the milk and cook according to pack instructions. Divide into 4 bowls and serve with the spicy fruit compote.
See the Reference Guides section for help converting weights.