A wonderful cold-weather dessert, Poached Pears in Cinnamon-Ginger Sauce’s rich combination of cinnamon and ginger make this perfect for any holiday, or anytime when you want something delightfully aromatic.
- 6 Bosc or Anjou pears *
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- 6 Cups water
- 1 1/2 Cups granulated sugar
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 8 quarter-sized slices fresh ginger **
- 1 Tablespoons minced candied ginger ***
- Rub pear halves with cut lemon to prevent browning and set aside. Combine water, sugar, cinnamon and ginger in large non aluminum pan. Heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 for minutes.
- Add pears and heat until liquid almost boils. Reduce heat until liquid is just under a boil and poach pears until just tender, 12 to 15 minutes. (Knife will pierce center easily.) Remove pears with slotted spoon and let cool slightly. Arrange cooked pears on serving dish or in individual serving bowls.
- Remove ginger and cinnamon from poaching liquid and reheat liquid until boiling. Cook until liquid is reduced to thick syrup, about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly. Pour warm syrup over pears. Sprinkle with candied ginger and serve. You may also serve with scoops of vanilla or ginger ice cream.
** Smashed with flat sided knife or cleaver
*** Available at Asian markets, gourmet stores and some supermarkets.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 bread.