Plum Wine Chicken with Sweet Ginger Mustard Sauce
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Poultry
- 1 boneless chicken breast, skin on
- Chicken Marinade:
- 1/4 Cup soy sauce (tamari)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons plum wine
- 1 Tablespoon dry Sherry or rice wine
- 1 Tablespoon chili orange oil*
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 scallion cut into 1 inch pieces then smashed
- 3 quarter sized coins of fresh ginger, smashed
- 2 inner ribs of celery
- 4 scallions (green and white parts)
- 1/2 can sliced water chestnuts drained
- 1/4 Cup toasted, sliced almonds
- 1 Cup Calrose rice
- Sweet Mustard Sauce:
- 1/4 Cup pickled ginger juice
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon 5 Flavor or Hot Chile Oil
- 1/2 Cup peanut or corn oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste.
- * (a spicy oil I make with fermented black beans, hot peppers flakes, orange zest etc. but you can add a bottled hot oil with little significant flavor difference.)
- Prepare the marinade and let the flavors infuse while you trim the cartilage and excess fat, skin and cut in half the breasts. Place the split chicken breasts in the marinade and marinate at room temp for about an hour or longer if you have time. Preheat the oven to 375F. Drain the chicken and discard the marinade. Heat a skillet over high heat and when hot enough to sizzle a bead of water on contact add about 1 tbl corn or peanut oil. Place breasts skin side down and saute for about 1 1/2 minutes (use a splatter screen if you have one). Turn and saute the other side for 30 to 60 seconds. Place breasts on a rack over a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the breasts. Remove from oven at let breasts cool. Then slice into small, bite sized pieces on a diagonal.
- Finely slice 2 innner ribs of celery chop 4 scallions (green and white parts) 1/2 can of sliced water chestnuts drained 1/4 cup toasted, sliced almonds.
- Prepare about one cup of calrose rice as usual.
- Make the sweet mustard sauce (this makes more than necessary but I use the leftover sauce for salad dressing) 1/4 cup pickled ginger juice 3 tbl dijon mustard 1 tbl sugar 1 tbl 5 flavor oil (substitute hot chile oil) 1/2 cup peanut or corn oil 1/4 tsp sea salt or to taste.
- Whisk all of the ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to use. Toss the vegetables, almonds and chicken slices along with 1/2 of the sauce. Place this blend over the rice and add additional sauce to taste.