Simply a wonderful tradition Pita de Spinaka is from Greece. Flavors of the individual ingredients pair perfectly to create an outstanding recipe for your Passover table.
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 Cup matzoh meal
- 4 sheets matzoh
- water, cold
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 Tablespoon walnut, chopped
- Wash the spinach well to remove sand and drain it. Coarsely chop the stems and leaves. Mix with the eggs, salt, pepper, and matzoh meal. Set aside.
- Moisten the sheets of matzoh with cold water, just enough to soften but not so much that they break up.
- Rub a heatproof glass or metal baking dish, about 9x6x2 inches, with all but 1 teaspoon of the oil. Put 2-1/2 sheets of the moist matzoh - big enough to turn up around the edges - on the bottom of the dish. Add the spinach mixture and cover with remaining 1-1/2 sheets of the matzoh for the pie cover. Brush with the reserved 1 teaspoon of oil and sprinkle the walnuts over the top. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm, cut into generous squares or triangles.
- Mix 1/2 pound ground beef with the spinach, eggs, salt, pepper, and matzoh meal, and proceed as above.
- Or chop 1/4 pound farmer cheese and 1/4 pound of feta cheese. Mix this with the spinach, eggs, salt, pepper, and matzoh meal, and proceed as for the spinach pie. This cheese dish could be (but is not, traditionally) eaten during Passover, but it is usually prepared for other days.
- In our opinion, substituting sheets of matzoh in place of the fragile sheets of fillo (which are not kosher for Passover) is ingenious. It results in a different taste and is an admirable solution for the kosher kitchen.
Clove, Cinnamon and Chocolate Cookies are packed with delightful flavors. Cinnamon and cloves pair w...
Sweet, sultry, delectable and seductive are words that come to mind with the first bite of Banana Sp...
Salmon Burgers with Smoked Cheese pair luscious salmon with smokey goodness, producing a superb comb...
The flavorful batter for these tender Buttermilk-Cinnamon Apple Fritters completes the equation, mak...