These delicious pickled shallots make a great accompaniment for a variety of dishes. Particularly fine with fish and chips.
Pink Pickled Shallots
Recipe type: Accompaniments
Serves: 2 half pints
- 3/4 pound firm, fresh shallots
- 3/4 Cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup water
- 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns, pink
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 bay leaf; bruised
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs; bruised
- Peel and cut the shallots lengthwise or crosswise into thin slices. Set aside. In a small, non-aluminum saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, water, peppercorns, mustard seed, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Using a slotted spoon, pack the shallots into clean, dry jars with lids. Ladle in the vinegar mixture, dividing the spices and herbs as evenly among the jars as possible. Attach lids. Store the shallots in the refrigerator at least a week before using. Will keep for several months.