Pineapple Upside Down Cake is an old classic, but is still a fresh and fruity dessert worth a try. Perfect for entertaining, and packed with incredible taste. Luscious, sultry and seductive — you will love this cake.
- 1 Cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter
- 1 can (20 ounce) of pineapple slices or, fresh sliced and cored pineapple
- candied cherries
- 1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- 6 Tablespoons cake flour
- 6 Tablespoons of ground almonds (from about 2 ounce of whole almonds)
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 Cups of sugar
- 1 Cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 Cup sour cream
- Start by making the caramel topping. Take brown sugar and butter and combine and melt in a saucepan on medium heat until sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbly, this should take several minutes. Pour mixture into a 10 inch diameter stick-free cake pan with 2 inch high sides. Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer on top of the caramel mixture. Decorate with candied cherries.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Whisk the flours, almonds, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the sugar and butter together until light. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream in 2 additions each, beating well after each addition. Pour cake batter over caramel and pineapple in pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Carefully, turn cake out onto a platter by placing the platter on top of the pan and inverting very quickly. Remove the pan cautiously remembering that it is very hot.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Refreshing the palate is the primary task of this extraordinary, Chilled Lemon Soup with its tangy f...
Pasta con Sarde is a traditional Sicilian dish served for St. Joseph's Day (March 19th). It is some...
Bangers and Colcannon with Guinness Gravy is an outstanding, filling and delicious dish that embodie...
Perfect with chicken or turkey or roasts, Brussel Sprouts and Chestnuts is a simple side dish and ho...