As a topping for burgers, sandwiches, or even with cheese and crackers, few condiments could be better than Pickled Red Onions. You will adore the flavor.
Pickled Red Onions
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Accompaniments
Serves: 1 jar
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 Cup cider vinegar or other vinegar of your choice
- 1/4 Cup water, preferably filtered
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Boil a small pot of water. Add the thinly sliced red onion, bring the water back to a boil, then cook for 2 minutes. Drain the onion slices and set them aside.
- Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, honey and salt in a small pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, stir to assure that the ingredients are mixed and then add the drained red onion slices.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Once cool, move the mixture to a sterile glass container and refrigerate it.
Once refrigerated, the red onion pickles should last for several weeks if you don't use them before then.