A great accompaniment with Fish and Chips or other great, traditional British food, these simply pickled onions are full of flavor.
Pickled Onions I
Recipe type: Accompaniments
Serves: 3 pints
- 3 pounds white pickling onions
- 1/2 Cup pickling salt
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 4 1/2 Cups white vinegar; 5% acidity
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 Tablespoon pickling spice
- 3 small red peppers
- 3 bay leaves
- Scald onions in boiling water about 2 minutes, then quickly dip into cold water.
- Peel onions; sprinkle with salt. Cover with cold water; let stand at least 12 hours.
- Drain the onions from the accumulated liquid, rinse, then drain again.
- Combine sugar and vinegar in a saucepan; simmer 5 minutes.
- Wash 3 pint jars. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs.
- Pack onions in the jars, leaving 1/2" head space.
- To each jar add 1/2 Tablespoons mustard seed, 1 teaspoons pickling spice, 1 red pepper and one bay leaf. Pour the hot liquid over the onions to within 1/2" of the top, making sure the vinegar solution covers the onions.
- Wipe each jar rim with a clean, damp cloth. Attach lid.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.