Author: John Ash
Recipe type: Puddings and Custard
- 1 Cup fresh ripe persimmon puree (from 2 to 3 persimmons)
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1 large egg; lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter; softened, plus a Tablespoon or two for buttering mold
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 1/4 Cup Golden raisins; plumped warm water, drained and chopped
- Vanilla Sauce; see * Note
- In a large bowl combine persimmon puree, sugar, egg and butter and beat until smooth (an electric mixer really helps!).
- Sift flour, cinnamon and baking soda together and stir into persimmon mixture along with the milk and raisins.
- Turn batter into a well-buttered 1-quart steamed pudding mold and cover tightly with a lid or heavy foil secured with kitchen string.
- Place mold on a rack in a kettle with a tight fitting lid.
- Pour hot water into kettle to reach 2/3 of the way up the sides of the mold and steam pudding covered for 2 hours over moderate heat.
- Remove pudding to a rack for 15 minutes.
- Invert onto a serving plate and serve with Vanilla Sauce.
- This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
- Recipe Source: JOHN ASH
* Note: See the "Vanilla Sauce" recipe which is included in this collection.