There has been much written on the best way to make Perfectly Mashed Potatoes – how long you cook them, with peel or without, reserving some of the cooking liquid, etc. etc. We have discovered that the real trick to creamy, buttery, heavenly potatoes is to use Yukon Gold potatoes instead of Russets. That’s really all there is to it (along with butter, cream, salt and pepper). Just start with the type of potato that tastes better and mashes up better.
Starchy potatoes, like russets, have high starch and low water content. Starchy potatoes are great for baking and French fries, and good as mashed potatoes. When cooked in water, they disintegrate; when cooked by dry heat, they become crumbly and fluffy.
All-purpose, or chef’s potatoes, like Yukon Golds, have medium starch and medium water mix. All-purpose potatoes are great in stews, soups, mashed potatoes, or for roasting. When cooked, they are at once moist and fluffy: they keep most of their shape in soups and don’t dry out when baked.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered length-wise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh chives or sage, optional
- Put potatoes into a saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add water until potatoes are covered.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes, or until done - a fork can easily be poked through them.
- Warm cream and melt butter, together, either in microwave or in a pan on the stove. Drain water from potatoes. Put hot potatoes into a bowl. Add cream and melted butter.
- Use potato masher to mash potatoes until well mashed.
- Use a strong spoon to beat further, adding milk to achieve the consistency you desire. (Do not over-beat or your potatoes will get gluey.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Optionally, fold in chopped fresh herbs during mashing.
Sweet Potato Noodle Kugel is a wonderful Hanukkah dessert, full of earthy, delicious flavors. A joy ...
Soft, luscious, and tasty, our Sweet Potato Soufflé is a great side dish for Thanksgiving. The autu...
Walnut Soup is an Irish classic, mild in flavor and rich in protein. The creamy taste is delightful...
Refried Beans is a staple of great Mexican and Southwestern cooking. With a touch of creativity, you...