Pepperoni Arrosto (Roast Peppers)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Vegetables
Serves: 1 portion
- peppers, red and/or green or other colors as available
- Wash and dry the peppers. Broil under a preheated broiler as close to the heating element as possible, or on a rack on the barbecue grill. We often put them on the gas burner directly, though this does not work with electric or flat top stoves. Cook and turn them as the skin chars to black. Roast until skin is completely black. Put them into a paper bag when done and close. Allow peppers to cool in the bag for at least 15 minutes. Peel the peppers with a sharp knife and paper towels. Do not hold under water as this washes away the flavor. The blackened and non-blackened bits should peel right off. Cut in half and discard the seeds and the white ribs. Cut into strips about 1/2" wide, if desired.
- The peppers are now ready to be served all'olio with a little lemon juice, or to be used in other recipes.
- Store in sterilized glass jars with extra virgin olive oil, two garlic cloves (halved) and a sprig of fresh oregano.
- These make a delicious gift. Keep refrigerated. Use on sandwiches or as a side dish or appetizer. Chop to add to pizza.
Note: This is posted as making one portion. That portion is one single large Mason Jar (sterilized, of course),