Penne with Butternut Squash, Onions, Sage and Parmesan is amazing pasta that embodies the best flavors of the Autumn harvest season. We prefer it with wide flat noodles like pappardelle or tagliatelle. Outstanding!
- 3 pounds butternut squash
- 1/4 Cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 Tablespoon thyme leaves
- ground pepper
- 2 1/2 Cups chicken broth
- salt, to taste
- 1 pound penne
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion; chopped
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 3/4 Cup braising liquid from squash
- 1/3 Cup minced fresh parsley
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon almonds, sliced
- To cook the squash, trim the top and bottom from the squash; peel it and halve lengthwise. Discard the seeds and strings, and then cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Over low heat, melt butter in a large, deep skillet. Add sage, thyme and pepper. Cook less than a minute, just until fragrant. Add the squash plus 2 1/2 Cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a serving dish. Set aside 2 1/2 Cups of squash plus 3/4 Cup of the liquid for this pasta recipe. Reduce the remaining liquid in the pan until it is syrupy and then pour it over the squash and serve garnished with a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta. Cook the pasta until al dente, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened but not brown, about 4 minutes. Add the sage and cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the squash, braising liquid and parsley. Cook just until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta and place it in a warm serving bowl. Add the squash mixture from the skillet, plus the Parmesan, and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately.
Champorado is an exceptional Filipino dish served for a dessert or breakfast and is a deliciously ch...
They make great food and Vermont Corn Chowder is one of their creamy best. Seriously delicious. Use ...
Chicken with Calvados in Cream is a classic of Normandy's delightful cuisine; a simple chicken dish ...
There's something extraordinary about Azafran Soup with Spinach Greens and Yellow Cornmeal Dumplings...