The warmth, flavor and texture of Pear and Fig Strudel make those consuming it simply fall in love with this recipe. Perfect with a scoop of vanilla or other ice cream flavors, plain or with a dollop of whipped cream for an outrageous dessert.
- 1 pound figs
- 1 2/3 Cups unsweetened pear juice
- 10 ripe pears
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 pound filo dough
- 1/2 Cup melted butter
- 1 Cup toasted wholewheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 1/2 Cup chopped hazelnuts
- Cover the figs with pear juice and bring to a boil, let simmer for 25 minutes. Puree in a blender.
- Peel and core the pears and chop into bite-sized pieces. Combine fig paste, pears and cinnamon and allspice.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 9 x 14-inch baking pan. Layer 10 filo sheets, 2 at a time, brushing butter on every second sheet and sprinkling it with breadcrumbs.
- Spread pear filling evenly over last sheet. Cover with another 10 sheets of filo, layered as before with butter and breadcrumbs.
- Score the top sheet into pieces approximately 3 inches square.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes and then allow to cool for 15 minutes. Heat the honey, stirring gently till warm. Drizzle over strudel and top with nuts. Cut with a sharp knife.
President Tyler's Puddin' Pies are delightful, sweet and luscious tartlets from a 19th Century White...
A Southern classic, this recipe is one of our favorites. Eaten hot or cold, Honey Fried Chicken has...
Herb Roasted Turkey with Mushroom Gravy is the perfect choice for your holiday turkey and gravy. The...
A Rasher of Bacon consists usually of at least 6 slices of crispy bacon slices, served separately fr...