Peanut-Chili Soup very interesting, flavorful and healthy South African soup that entices the palate with vibrant flavors. To serve, ladle into a heated serving dish and lightly sprinkle top with chopped peanuts.
- 2 large leeks, whites and tops, washed well, and cut into thin rings
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 1 large yellow onion; chopped
- 1 Cup cooked long-grain white rice
- 3 small fresh hot chilies, seeds included, and cut into rings
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 Cup roasted salted peanuts; not dry roasted
- 1 Cup fresh or canned okra
- salt, black pepper and Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped roasted salted peanuts; for garnish
- Reserve 1/2 cup leeks.
- In a heavy 2 to 3-quart saucepan over high heat, bring broth, onion, and the remaining leeks to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are tender (25 to 30 minutes). Remove from heat and puree in a blender.
- Return soup to saucepan, reserving 1 cup. Add rice, chiles, bell pepper, and reserved leeks and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender puree reserved soup and peanuts. Stir into soup on stove and continue cooking for the remainder of the 15 minutes.
- If using fresh okra cut into rings and boil until tender (about 5 minutes). Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- If using canned okra drain and rinse. Add okra to soup, stir, and remove from heat.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
This is a simple and flavorful meatloaf with the same spices used in haggis. The oatmeal gives it a ...
Baked Beans are an ideal thing to barbecue. Slow cooking does them a world of good, and brings you a...
Friends and family will adore this Passover Brisket, served any time of year. It's rich in flavor an...
Easter Ham with Peach Glaze is a delectable way to serve an extraordinary meal for the holiday, with...