Peanut-Chili Soup very interesting, flavorful and healthy South African soup that entices the palate with vibrant flavors. To serve, ladle into a heated serving dish and lightly sprinkle top with chopped peanuts.
- 2 large leeks, whites and tops, washed well, and cut into thin rings
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 1 large yellow onion; chopped
- 1 Cup cooked long-grain white rice
- 3 small fresh hot chilies, seeds included, and cut into rings
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 Cup roasted salted peanuts; not dry roasted
- 1 Cup fresh or canned okra
- salt, black pepper and Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped roasted salted peanuts; for garnish
- Reserve 1/2 cup leeks.
- In a heavy 2 to 3-quart saucepan over high heat, bring broth, onion, and the remaining leeks to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are tender (25 to 30 minutes). Remove from heat and puree in a blender.
- Return soup to saucepan, reserving 1 cup. Add rice, chiles, bell pepper, and reserved leeks and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender puree reserved soup and peanuts. Stir into soup on stove and continue cooking for the remainder of the 15 minutes.
- If using fresh okra cut into rings and boil until tender (about 5 minutes). Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- If using canned okra drain and rinse. Add okra to soup, stir, and remove from heat.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
The trick with Gazpacho is in the cutting of the vegetables, which is best done by hand in very tiny...
Old English Duck Pie with Forcemeat Balls and Chestnuts is a delicious meat pie most often made in W...
Cooking a side dish like Green Beans Amandine from scratch is an adventure that yields amazing resul...
Cuban Flan de Queso is an incredible custard-based cheesecake with the delectable flavor of caramel ...