Peanut-Chili Soup very interesting, flavorful and healthy South African soup that entices the palate with vibrant flavors. To serve, ladle into a heated serving dish and lightly sprinkle top with chopped peanuts.
- 2 large leeks, whites and tops, washed well, and cut into thin rings
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 1 large yellow onion; chopped
- 1 Cup cooked long-grain white rice
- 3 small fresh hot chilies, seeds included, and cut into rings
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 Cup roasted salted peanuts; not dry roasted
- 1 Cup fresh or canned okra
- salt, black pepper and Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped roasted salted peanuts; for garnish
- Reserve 1/2 cup leeks.
- In a heavy 2 to 3-quart saucepan over high heat, bring broth, onion, and the remaining leeks to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are tender (25 to 30 minutes). Remove from heat and puree in a blender.
- Return soup to saucepan, reserving 1 cup. Add rice, chiles, bell pepper, and reserved leeks and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender puree reserved soup and peanuts. Stir into soup on stove and continue cooking for the remainder of the 15 minutes.
- If using fresh okra cut into rings and boil until tender (about 5 minutes). Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- If using canned okra drain and rinse. Add okra to soup, stir, and remove from heat.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Summer is the season to cook with fresh fruit so Strawberry Ice Cream is a natural fit with its perf...
Sweet, yet tangy, fresh blueberries add a healthful aspect, with strong antioxidants to delicious Ol...
Great served with hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled bratwurst or other summertime barbecued or grilled m...
When a recipe is legendary, it is flexible, as this recipe for Chocolate Truffles clearly presents. ...