Paul Prudhomme's Barbecue Sauce
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Sauces
Serves: 5 cups
- Seasoning Mix:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cayenne pepper
- Main Ingredients:
- 1/2 pound bacon; minced
- 2 Cups pork beef or chicken stock
- 1 Cup honey
- 5 Tablespoons orange juice (1/2 orange)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (1/4 lemon)
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 Cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 Cups bottled chili sauce
- 3/4 Cup dry roasted pecans; chopped
- rind and pulp from 1/2 orange
- rind and pulp from 1/4 lemon
- Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan fry the bacon over high heat until crisp. Stir in the onions, cover pan, and continue cooking until onions are dark brown, but not burned, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the seasoning mix and cook about 1 minute. Add the stock, chili sauce, honey, pecans, orange juice, lemon juice, orange and lemon rinds and pulp, garlic, and Tabasco, stirring well. Reduce heat to low; continue cooking about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove orange and lemon rinds. Continue cooking and stirring about 15 minutes more to let the flavors marry. Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat. Let cool about 30 minutes, then pour into a food processor or blender and process until pecans and bacon are finely chopped, about 10 to 15 seconds.
- This sauce may be used to barbecue chicken, pork or ribs.
- This recipe yields about 5 cups