Pâté aux Poireaux is a lovely cheese quiche – a savory leek tart from northern France and also popular in Flanders.
Pate aux Poireaux (Leek Tart)
This leek and cheese quiche from Ile d'Orleans is related to the Flamiche aux Poireuax, a savory leek tart made in northern France and Flanders. The same recipe can also be used to make small tarts.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Baked Goods
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 4 leeks; up to 5, finely chopped, washed thoroughly to remove sand
- 2 Tablespoons flour; all purpose
- salt and ground pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons light cream
- 1 Cup white Cheddar cheese; mild, grated
- pastry for 9 inch tart shell
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy saucepan, add leeks and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add water, cover and simmer gently for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- In another saucepan, melt the remaining two tablespoons butter, blend in flour and cook over medium heat until bubbling. Blend in leek mixture, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg and cream together, blend with leek mixture and pour into unbaked tart shell. Sprinkle top evenly with cheese.
- Bake in preheated 400 degrees F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.