An exceptional recipe useful for appetizers or desserts.
Pate a Choux (Profiteroles)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Pastry
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1/2 Cup flour
- 3 eggs
- Place water and butter in a medium saucepan, heat until water boils and the butter is melted. Remove from the heat and dump in the flour all at once. Stir vigorously until the flour mixture forms an elastic ball in the saucepan.
- Let the dough mixture cool, and then beat in an egg until it is fully incorporated into the dough mixture. Repeat the process with each of the remaining eggs, beating them into the dough, one at a time.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator to cool, for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour. This will stiffen the dough, so it will not flatten when baked into puffs or profiteroles.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to a hot 475 degrees F.
- Using a couple of teaspoons, scoop small (large walnut sized) mounds of dough on a greased cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in the hot oven for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 325 degrees F. and continue baking for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, or until puffs are a medium brown color. The puffs must remain in the oven for the full baking time, or they will collapse soon after being taken from the oven.
- After cooling, the tops may be removed with a sharp knife, any remaining uncooked dough may be removed from the inside, and the puffs may be filled with any appetizer filling or dessert filling desired.
This recipe makes approximately 18 puffs.