Parchment Wrapped Chicken
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 2 whole chicken breasts, skinned and boned
- 3 Tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger juice*
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- boiling water
- 1/2 pound fresh bean sprouts
- 6 green onions with tops, cut into 2 inch lengths and slivered
- 1/3 Cup chopped walnuts
- 8 8 inch squares of parchment paper
- Cut eight 8 inch squares of parchment paper.
- Cut chicken into thin, narrow strips, about 3 inches long. Combine soy sauce, ginger juice and sugar in large bowl; stir in chicken, let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour boiling water over bean sprouts; let stand one minute. Drain; cool under cold water and drain well.
- Thoroughly toss chicken mixture with bean sprouts, green onions and walnuts.
- Place about 1/2 cupful of chicken mixture in center of each parchment square. Fold bottom point of parchment over filling; crease just below filling and fold point over and under filling. Fold side points over filling, overlapping slightly. Crease paper to hold folds. Fold remaining corner down so point extends below bottom of bundle; tuck this point between folded sides. Crease paper to hold folds. Repeat with remaining parchment squares. (Ends up looking like small envelope, with flap tucked under bundle.)
- Place bundles seam side down, in single layer on steamer rack. Set rack in large pot or wok of boiling water. (Do not let water level reach the bundles) Cover and steam about 7 minutes or until chicken is tender. Serve immediately.
- *Peel fresh ginger root, then squeeze through garlic press.