Pan-Roasted Sea Bass with Garlic-Chive Butter is an exceptional recipe with incredible flavor. The butter pat adds a delectable, classy sheen to the fish.
Pan-roasting is ‘the’ ideal way to cook fish. You sear the fish until it has a nice golden crust and then you finish it in the oven to keep it moist and flaky. The trick is to always sear the flesh side down first and to not flip the fish until it has a good golden crust and easily releases from the pan.
- 1 Cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons finely minced chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- a pinch of Kosher salt
- 4 sea bass fillets (4 to 6 ounces each)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the chives, garlic, and salt and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the mixture in the shape of a log onto a piece of parchment paper. Fold the paper over itself. Using your hands, shape the butter into a cylinder about 1 1/2 inches wide (almost like making a Tootsie Roll). Once it is shaped, twist the edges to seal it. Place in the freezer to set, about 20 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, slice the roll into 1/4-inch rounds and remove the parchment. (Only 4 slices of Garlic-Chive Butter are needed for this recipe.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Generously season the sea bass with salt and pepper. In a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat, warm the oil until a few water droplets sizzle when carefully sprinkled in the skillet. Sear the sea bass, skin side up, until the meat is well browned and easily releases from pan, about 4 minutes. Flip over and cook until seared, about 1 minute. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast until the fish is medium-rare, about 5 minutes, or until desired doneness.
- Serve with a slice of herbed butter on top.
Do-Ahead: The rolled butter can be stored for up to 1 month in the freezer.
Autumn is a time for soups and stews and this enticing creation evokes all the best flavors of the s...
Veal Stew with Apples is best made with crisp, firm apples that hold up to cooking. The flavors are...
An ideal accompaniment for your summer barbecue or grilled burgers, franks, chicken or brats. Goes w...
The classic club is wonderfully adapted in the Salmon Club Sandwich with Roasted Shallot Smear. Comp...