Pan-Fried Trout with Warm Yellow Tomato and Tarragon Salsa
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Seafood
- 4 pan ready trout (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 1/2 Cup flour
- 1/3 Cup fine cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon pure mild to medium chile powder (such as Ancho or New Mexico)
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 Cup diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced Serrano chile; or to taste
- 2 teaspoons honey; or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 3 Cups halved small yellow plum tomatoes (or large yellow tomatoes, such as Boy, seeded and cut into large dice)
- 3 Tablespoons rich shellfish or chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves; to 2 Tablespoons
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- lightly-toasted slivered blanched almonds or pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Rinse trout and blot dry.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt and chile powder together on a plate. Dredge trout in mixture.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan and saute trout on both sides until crispy-brown. Set aside and keep warm. Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan and saute red onion, garlic and serrano chile until just beginning to soften. Add honey, lemon juice, tomatoes and stock and bring just to the simmer (1 to 2 minutes). Off heat stir in tarragon leaves, salt and pepper.
- Spoon over trout and serve immediately garnished with almonds or pumpkin seeds.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Recipe Source: JOHN ASH