Pan-Fried Catfish with Pepper and Lemon
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 1 Tablespoon lemon peel - grated
- 2/3 Cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 4 catfish fillets
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lemon wedges
- Combine cornmeal, flour, lemon peel and cayenne in shallow dish. Season with salt.
- Pour buttermilk into second shallow dish.
- Dip 1 fish fillet into buttermilk, then into cornmeal mixture, coating completely. Repeat process with remaining fish. (Note: Let fish stand for approximately 15 minutes before proceeding.)
- Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish and cook until crust is golden brown and fish is cooked through, turning once, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer fish to platter.
- Sprinkle with minced parsley. Garnish with lemon wedges.
If you let the fish sit coated for the 15 minutes that we recommend, this dish will take 45 minutes. Believe us, let the fish sit for the 15 minutes; it will keep the coating on the fish with no hassle whatsoever.