Oyster and Artichoke Soup is a rich, creamy soup with luscious flavor. The pairing of its key ingredients is a perfect match.
Oyster and Artichoke Soup
Author: Jeffrey Dunham
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 3 bacon slices, thick, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 Cup onions, diced
- 1 ounce celery, diced
- 1 ounce leeks, diced and rinsed
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 Cups chicken stock
- 10 ounces fresh shucked oysters
- 5-ounce can artichoke bottoms
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- salt and pepper, as needed
- basil pesto, as needed
- oyster crackers or toasted garlic bread, as needed
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan at medium-high heat. Render bacon and add onions, celery and leeks; sauté 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir flour into vegetables; add 3 cups chicken stock, stirring well; cook over medium heat.
- Drain oysters, reserving liquid and 8 oysters; add stock and remaining oysters to soup. Coarsely chop artichokes and add to soup; simmer 15 minutes.
- Purée soup with hand blender. Add cream, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper; simmer 10 minutes. Add more stock if needed.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish each with whole oyster, dollop of pesto and oyster crackers or accompany with garlic bread.