This is superb slow cooking with outstanding results that everyone may enjoy.
Oven Simmered Beef Brisket
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 1 beef brisket (about 4 pounds)
- 2 1/2 Cups apple juice
- 1/2 Cup soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup salad oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 Cup cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup water
- Trim fat off brisket.
- Place meat in a roasting pan. In a bowl stir together apple juice, soy sauce, oil, bay leaves, onion, ginger, garlic and pepper. Pour mixture over brisket. Cover and refrigerate over night. Leaving meat and marinade in pan, bake at 350 degrees F. for 3 hours or until tender when pierced.
- To serve hot: transfer to a platter. Skim fat from pan and discard bay leaves. Mix cornstarch and water. Add to juices in pan. Place over medium heat and cook till thickened. Stir while cooking. Serve the sauce in small bowl, on the side.
- To serve cold: omit cornstarch and water. Cool meat in cooking liquid and cover and refrigerate for 2 days. Remove meat from liquid and slice thinly.
Served cold, this meat makes outstanding sandwiches. Sliced and put on a rich brown bread, rye or hard roll, with mustard, they're wonderful.
Serve with bread and butter, popovers, Yorkshire Pudding or buttered noodles.