Lamb, just like veal, makes a superb Osso Buco and is ideal served over a bed of braised root vegetables, polenta or risotto with asparagus. The incredible flavor of this rich meat is enhanced by the sauce.
- 12 American lamb shanks, 8-10 ounces each
- 3/4 Cup cooking oil
- 6 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 Cups onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups red wine
- 3 bay leaf
- 3 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 Tablespoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 Tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large roasting pan; sear lamb shanks on all sides.
- Reduce heat; add tomato paste. Add garlic and onions; cook 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add red wine, bay leaves, cinnamon, nutmeg, marjoram, salt and pepper. Add enough water to fill pan 3/4 high; cover and cook in 250 degrees F oven until meat easily separates from bone, about 4 hours. Remove lamb shanks from liquid; reserve.
- Reduce braising liquid to sauce consistency; pour over lamb shanks to serve.
These delicious Almond Cookies are often served at the end of a wonderful Chinese meal. Simply delec...
Apple-Pecan Cobbler makes a spectacular dessert, topped with ice cream and bit of caramel sauce, it ...
Red Onion Marmalade is one of those incredibly delicious recipes known only to a few gourmands. It i...
Herbed Summer Melon Salad is an extraordinary summertime recipe, perfect for either a dessert or an ...