Oriental-Style Chicken in Lettuce
Recipe type: Appetizer, Main
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 ounces water chestnuts, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Ketjap Manis Soy Sauce
- juice 1/2 lime
- 2 limes, quartered
- 6 ounces Ketjap Manis Soy Sauce
- 1 red chili, deseeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 scallions, finely sliced
- 2 heads Boston or Bibb lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Roast the chicken breasts for 20 minutes. Leave to cool, then shred into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes, until the onion begins to turn golden. Add the chili and cook for a further few minutes. Add the water chestnuts, soy sauce and lime juice, and warm through for another minute. Remove from the heat.
- Put the shredded chicken and scallions into a bowl. Add the onion and water chestnut mixture then gently stir through.
- Separate 12 lettuce leaves and divide among 4 plates. Fill with the chicken mixture and serve immediately, garnished with lime wedges.
- For the garnish, in a small bowl, pour the Ketjap Manis, top with red chili and serve for dipping. Place two lime wedges on each plate.