These delicious custard squares go wonderfully with Spiced Syrup, and offer a superb treat at the end of a meal.
Cut in 2-inch squares. Serve with Spiced Syrup on the side.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
- 4 Cups milk
- 1 3/4 Cups sugar
- 3/4 Cup farina
- 1 Cup unsalted butter, plus butter for baking dish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 2 Tablespoons orange or peach-flavored liqueur
- 10 eggs; separated
- Spiced Syrup, see Recipe
- ground cinnamon; for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, combine milk and one half of the sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Slowly add farina, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture thickens and is smooth. Add the 1 cup butter and stir over low heat until completely blended into milk mixture.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla, orange zest, and liqueur. Stir well and cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg yolks and the remaining sugar and beat with a rotary beater or an electric beater until frothy.
- In a second bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold whites into yolks. Add cooled milk mixture and stir well.
- Butter a 9- by 13-inch baking dish and pour batter into it. Bake until firm and a knife inserted in center comes out clean (about 35 minutes).
- While custard is baking, prepare Spiced Syrup. Remove custard from oven and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. Let cool to room temperature.
Yield: 2 dozen squares.