Omelet with Ham and Vegetables (Tortilla a la Paisana)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 Tablespoons cooked green beans; cut in 1" lengths
- 1 Tablespoon green peas - cooked or canned
- 1 Tablespoon ham; cut in bits
- 2 Tablespoons diced, cooked potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 eggs; lightly beaten
- 1 pinch salt
- Put enough olive oil in the frying pan to cover bottom (about 1 1/2 tablespoons). Heat the oil over a brisk fire until it is on the verge of smoking. Throw in green beans and potatoes; stir with a fork for a few seconds, then add ham. When the mixture is lightly browned, add peas and tomato paste. Mix. Remove to a plate.
- Add olive oil if necessary to cover the bottom of the pan and heat it to the verge of smoking before pouring in two eggs beaten with a pinch of salt. Stir eggs quickly with a fork as if you intended to scramble them. Cover the center third with the vegetables and ham, fold the two sides over the center, one by one, and slide the omelet upside down onto a plate, ready to serve. The omelet should be browned on the outside; slightly runny inside.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman