On hearing the name Old-Fashioned Chicken Soup, the idea of microwaving doesn’t come to mind, but this recipes works.
Old-Fashioned Chicken Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 3 pounds broiler-fryer, with neck and gizzard
- 1 large onion
- 1 stalk celery, quartered with leaves
- 6 Cups water
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut in half
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sprig of dill
- 2 packages instant chicken broth
- cooked noodles
- Place all ingredients in a deep, 3-quart, heat-resistant, non-metallic casserole.
- Heat, covered with plastic wrap or a non-metallic covering, for 15 minutes in microwave oven.
- Skim any foam from top.
- Cover and heat an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove carrots, chicken, celery and onion and reserve.
- Strain soup through cheese-cloth or fine mesh strainer.
- Skim excess fat off surface and add 2 envelopes instant chicken broth.
- Return the carrots, celery, onion and chicken to the soup. If desired, add pre-cooked noodles before serving.