The wealth of flavor in Old Fashioned Blueberry Pie makes it a glorious treat for young and old. Sweet, yet tangy, fresh blueberries add a healthful aspect, with strong antioxidants. Perfect with a dollop of homemade whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Pate Brisee dough for 2 pies
- 6 pints fresh blueberries
- 2 Cups sugar; plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 large egg; beaten with 1 teaspoon water; for glaze
- On a lightly floured board, roll out two pieces of Pate Brisee dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch; use these to line two 9-inch pie tins. Chill thoroughly.
- Roll out remaining two pieces of dough to form circles at least 10 inches in diameter; chill on a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl combine berries, 2 cups sugar, flour, and lemon zest and juice. Fill chilled pie shells with berry mixture. Lay pastry circles on a lightly floured board and cut a star out of each center. (Do this by hand or with a cookie cutter.)
- Brush edges of bottom shells lightly with glaze, and top with pastry circles, centering stars. Trim overhanging pastry to within 3/4 inch and crimp edges together. Chill pies for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush pies with remaining glaze and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes, until juices are bubbling and crust is golden brown. Let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 542 calories; 25.5 g fat (10.9 g saturated fat; 42 percent calories from fat); 44 mg cholesterol; 291 mg sodium; 75.6 g carbohydrates.
The delights of Avocado Cilantro Soup will fill any tummy with delight and tempt every palate to im...
Pecorino, Cabbage, Bacon and Black Pepper Quadrati was developed by Missy Robbins at A Voce in New Y...
Grilling before braising adds a unique caramelized flavor to Braised Lamb Shanks in Port Wine Sauce ...
Blueberry Parfaits are somewhat unique in that they make both a wonderful breakfast or brunch main c...