O'Donoghue's Beef Stew
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 1 1/2 pounds round steak; or stew steak
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 medium parsnips
- 1/2 Cup barley, pearled
- 8 potatoes
- stock or soup mixture (beef or oxtail)
- mixed herbs
- Boil some water in a large saucepan, sufficient to cover the meat and have approx 1" left above.
- Put in the chopped (large chunks) meat, lower heat to keep the stew simmering, put in the chopped/diced carrots and parsnips, add herbs, salt and pepper to taste, leave simmer for a while (say 20 mins).
- Add the peeled whole potatoes and some stock/soup mixture or cornflour to thicken, keep the mixture simmering and stir occasionally, after about 1 hour from start-time taste and check the potatoes. If it tastes ok then its done. Remember the best stews are left on for a long time 1 1/2 hrs or more.