This high-fibre confection is fun to make and to eat.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Candies
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup flaked oat cereal, uncooked
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- Caramelize the sugar. Stir constantly. Remove from fire immediately.
- Stir in the oat cereal quickly. Add salt, baking soda, and butter.
- Pour onto well-buttered baking sheet. Stretch and pull by means of spatulas into a very thin sheet.
Take particular care with caramelized sugar. Do not touch the brittle directly with your hands as it can burn your hands very quickly and seriously. As advised in the recipe, use spatulas. One trick to make that easier is to wipe a thin film of vegetable oil on the spatulas to prevent them from adhering to the brittle.
Once this recipe has cooled, you may crush this and use as a topping for muffins, cakes or simply eat it as candy.