A great, nut-flavored appetizer perfect for vegans.
Nutty Rice Pate
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 1/3 Cup raw brown rice
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 Cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 Cup grated onion
- 1 large chopped garlic clove
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 Cups finely ground walnuts, peanuts, or cashews
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 Cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- lettuce leaves
- sour pickles
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions but eliminate the salt.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the mushrooms, zucchini, onions, and garlic until tender but not browned.
- Put the saute vegetables in the container of an electric blender or food processor and whirl or process until smooth. Scrape into a bowl.
- Add the cooked rice, eggs, nuts, parsley, wheat germ, sage, basil, thyme and pepper. Transfer into an oiled 9x5x3 inch loaf pan and bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 30 minutes.
- Cool, remove from pan, and chill.
- Serve in 1/4" thick slices on lettuce leaves with sour pickles.