This delicious dessert is a glory of traditional Jewish cuisine. We added apples and raisins, which are optional.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Desserts
- butter (for the dish)
- salt, to taste
- 16 ounces medium egg noodles
- 1 1/4 Cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 Cup honey
- 5 eggs
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 1 Cup raisins
- 1 Cup sliced apple (peeled and cored)
- 1. Set the oven at 350. Generously butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the noodles according to package instructions until they are tender. Drain them and rinse with cold water. Spread them evenly in the baking dish.
- In an electric mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese. Beat in the honey, followed by the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the sour cream. The mixture should be thick and creamy. Pour it over the noodles. (Note: If adding raisins and/or apples, include them with the noodles before adding the liquid.)
- Bake the kugel for 45 to 60 minutes or until it is set and golden brown. Let the kugel sit for 10 minutes. Cut into squares.
Recipe adapted from The Boston Globe. Photo includes apples and raisins.