Easy to make, No-Bake Butterscotch Haystacks are sweet, crunchy confections that are fun for young and old. Make plenty, they go fast at Halloween parties.
No-Bake Butterscotch Haystacks
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 24 candies
- 1 Cup butterscotch chips (Hershey's)
- 1/2 Cup Reese's peanut butter chips
- 1 Tablespoon shortening (do not use margarine, butter or oil)
- 1 1/2 Cups chow mein noodles, coarsely broken or small stick pretzels
- red M&Ms for decoration.
- Line tray with wax paper.
- In medium microwave-safe bowl, place butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips and shortening.
- Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred.
- Immediately add chow mein noodles or pretzels; stir to coat. Drop mixture by heaping teaspoonfuls onto prepared tray or into paper candy cups; let stand until firm.
- If necessary, cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Decorate with M&Ms to make eyes.
- Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator.
- About 2 dozen candies.
- Chocolate Haystacks: Substitute 1 cup Hershey's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or Hershey's Milk Chocolate Chips for butterscotch chips. Proceed as directed above with peanut butter chips, shortening and pretzels or chow mein noodles.
Hershey's is a registered trademark of Hershey Foods Corporation.